Thursday, March 29, 2012

Extract data from SQL 6.5

I need to get some data from an enormous, creaky old SQL 6.5 database.
I know nothing about either the data schema (though I believe some sort
of documentation exists), nor 6.5 for that matter, having come to SQL
Server at 7.0.

My clients need the data in comma delimited format.

Please, can anyone suggest any possibilities? One thing that occurred
to me might be to create an Access application, use an ODBC link to the
SQL DB, and then leverage Access' not inconsiderable functionality to
get the data out.

Does anyone foresee any problems with this, or any better ways?

Forever in your debt.

Edward
--
The reading group's reading group:
http://www.bookgroup.org.ukI also came to SQL Server well after version 6.5 but I believe that 6.5
had a version of Enterprise Manager (EM) and that EM supported access
to the 6.5 equilivent of DTS. If so you should be able to use the tool
to do what you need without being 'knowledgable'.

Between the GUI and a manual I have managed to stumble through the
first time I have had to perform certain tasks.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --|||(teddysnips@.hotmail.com) writes:
> I need to get some data from an enormous, creaky old SQL 6.5 database.
> I know nothing about either the data schema (though I believe some sort
> of documentation exists), nor 6.5 for that matter, having come to SQL
> Server at 7.0.
> My clients need the data in comma delimited format.
> Please, can anyone suggest any possibilities? One thing that occurred
> to me might be to create an Access application, use an ODBC link to the
> SQL DB, and then leverage Access' not inconsiderable functionality to
> get the data out.
> Does anyone foresee any problems with this, or any better ways?

If you know Access and is comfortable with that, I guess it will work
fine.

You cold also use BCP, and you could use the BCP that comes with SQL
Server 2000. (I do seem recall that there were some problems when accessing
SQL 6.5 if the database+table names were too long.)

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment