Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Exterpise Manager Select Export (ASCII,Excel,Access)?

Hi All. A client needs to send me some sample data. He has insisted he can query the table in Enterprise Manager via a simple select... "Select * from Table1"...

Now I need to get the data in some simple form (ASCII, Excel, Access, etc.) sent to me.

Can someone please provide me the info so I can pass it on for him to query a table from Enterprise Manager and "export it" to a simple file so I can receive it.

ANY THOUGHTS would be helpfull and GREATLY Appreciated!

Thanks.

BillIf this is a one timer I would go for "Tools -> Data Transformation Services -> Export Data".

// Pati|||Hey Pati... It may just be a one timer... but if the data looks good, it may be more frequent. it turns out some other process is taking records from this table, and may be removing them... Part of the reason we are trying to get some snapshots of the data.

I'm trying not to write an app until I know if we need this data.

Is it really simple to use to do the menu picks? Doesn't seem like the end user is very experienced, nor am I on Sql Server.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Bill|||If you think that you will need the same procedure again then you can save the DTS package for further use and then schedule it to run as desired.
...or then for another approach you could automate everything with scripts/scheduled jobs.

But as you're saying that you don't have much experience in SQL Server and that this might just be a one off solution then I would stick to DTS.

// Patisql

No comments:

Post a Comment