Tuesday, March 27, 2012

External stored procedure, performance?

Hi everybody,
I should begin to write a DLL library for Sql2000 server.
The functions I like to implement are mathematical functions, like standard
deviation, and similar, nothing really complex. Often I have to use more
then one standard deviation inside the sama function, using subset of a
record set.
Of course I can use sql2000, that implemets standard deviation and basic
mathematical function, so the question is: is it opportune to write a DDL to
improve performance, or is it worse, or just the same?
thanks a lot for any kindly advice
cesareI think the key words here are "using a subset of a recordset". Based on
that I would implement it in T-SQL, or on the application side but not in an
XP. The cost of connecting back to the SQL Server to grab a subset of rows
is going to be big, especially if you perform this std dev calc several
times in a row.
"Cesare" <cvairetti@.mcgestioni.it> wrote in message
news:uO9XdpvjGHA.1640@.TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Hi everybody,
> I should begin to write a DLL library for Sql2000 server.
> The functions I like to implement are mathematical functions, like
> standard
> deviation, and similar, nothing really complex. Often I have to use more
> then one standard deviation inside the sama function, using subset of a
> record set.
> Of course I can use sql2000, that implemets standard deviation and basic
> mathematical function, so the question is: is it opportune to write a DDL
> to
> improve performance, or is it worse, or just the same?
> thanks a lot for any kindly advice
> cesare
>sql

No comments:

Post a Comment