Thursday, March 29, 2012

Extract Data from Excel 2007 on Vista

Hello all,

I am in the process up testing an upgrade from XP to Vista, and the only thing that I am running into is that my linked servers for Excel that I defined no longer work.

The spreadsheet that I am trying to open is in the 97-2003 format (not the 2007 format), yet I keep getting the same error message "Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" for linked server "TEST1"

Has anyone successfully created a linked server to an Excel spreadsheet on Vista, and if so, please can you provide some insight into what I am doing wrong.

I tried creating a linked server on an XP box running MS Office 2007, and it worked without any issues.

All comments welcome.

thanks

Steve

Where is the excel located in ? If it is in a UAC controlled folder (which would need special permissions / elevation) you willprobably not be able to access the file unless you disbaled UAC and restartet the computer. If this is not the case, you should check if the the file is accessible to you (if you use windows authentication and have the linked server confgured for using the Windows Authentication of the logged in user) or if the SQL Server service account has permissions to access the file (in case that you are either using SQL Server authentication or you configured the linked server to use the SQL Server service account credentials)

HTH, Jens K. Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de
|||

Hi Jens,

Thanks for the response. I changed the log on properties of the SQL Server service to use a name user instead of the built in Network Service user and that seemed to fix the problem.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment